Home

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Post #12 - Bo (& Barrett) Bike Bama



Holy Crap!  I got to ride my bike with Bo Jackson!  That's kind of a big deal.  Especially for me, being that I am a huge Auburn fan.  I've grown up hearing about the might Bo Jackson.  And now I've been on a bike ride with him!!  Here's a picture for proof!


Oh, no big deal, but I also got to ride with Ken Griffey Jr.


Ok, so why did I bike with Bo Jackson?  Bo was riding across Alabama to raise money for the continuing tornado relief effort across Alabama.  He was riding over 300 miles in 5 days following the path of destruction.  Last I heard he had raised nearly a half million dollars!  Not bad eh?  


It was my first time out in my newly ordered 2011 B&B jersey.  It's pretty dang sweet.  The ride itself was about 54 miles.  It went from my hometown of Cullman to Jasper. It was so cool riding along with Bo and having people all along the way cheering us on.  We were able to ride by a school in Curry and had several hundred elementary kids all out yelling and screaming for us!  Got a lot of good high fives riding past them.  I am so thankful to Bo and the other celebrities for helping to raise money and allowing me (and many many others) to ride along with him.  

The ride also afforded me the opportunity to meet many new people.  One of the people I met is a girl who is also getting ready to bike across the country!  She, however, is heading from west to east.  She is hoping to raise money for an Alabama charity that is providing tornado relief.  Check out her blog for a much more well written post about biking with Bo:  http://lifeislikeabicycle.com/blog/

So the ride with Bo gave me a good chance to test out saddle #2.  It was all fine until about 30 miles into the ride, then we didn't get along anymore.  SO, I've been on saddle #3 a couple of days, its ok, but I've moved on to a different option.  One I probably should have tried to start with really.  My trusty WTB Rocket V.  I've had a couple of these on mountain bikes and love em.  I did a 32 mile ride on it yesterday and am pretty happy with it.  I'll get a couple more rides on it and see how it goes.  

Ok, now the big news...



I have met my fundraising goal!!!

That's right.  The check to meet my goal is in the mail as we speak.  Now this does not mean that no more donations will be taken, not at all!  However if you have been holding out on me, then you could do another South Carolina to Santa Cruz rider a solid and donate to them if they haven't quite gotten theirs yet.  Or you could just donate to me and make me look like the awesome fundraiser that I am (not really, I hate asking people for money).  Thanks to everyone who has donated!!!


Now for a few bonus pics I took:


Bo's sweet Trek bike.  He had a different one for each day of the ride.  They were auctioned off at the end to raise money!  Way to go Trek for helping out!






These are from the Bo Bikes Bama Facebook page.  Photos by Glenn Kasin
 





No comments:

Post a Comment