Home

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Post #11 - Sweat Equity & Tornadoes

I did my first day of "sweat equity" yesterday at a Habitat for Humanity build site in north Birmingham.  The build was in a neighborhood that was destroyed by the April 27, 2011 tornadoes.  There are several houses that are still just piles of rubble.  I really should have taken some pictures.  It was incredible to me that there are so many houses that just haven't been rebuilt or even cleaned up after a whole year.  There are still piles of rubble in my town of Cullman too.  The storms really did change the landscape of many communities across the state.

But anyways, it was a really great day working.  Omar, the site leader, was awesome to work with.  For the first hour or so it was just me, Omar, and 3 people from Starbucks working.  I guess Starbucks encourages community service among its workers.  Then a Habitat group from New Hampshire showed up.  It was a pretty funny group.  There was one older guy, a few women, and then about 15 middle and high school girls.  The Starbucks crew bailed around lunchtime, which left me and the New Hampshire crew.  I was really impressed with them.  They sat up on the trusses and climbed up ladders with no fear (ok, well just a little fear), and really just worked hard.  They were down there on Spring Break.  Seeing a bunch of kids giving up their Spring Break to help out down here was pretty awesome.  It was a really fun day.

Speaking April 27 tornadoes, Bo Jackson has been in the press a lot for his Bo Bikes Bama ride.  He is riding the path of some of the worst tornadoes.  He is coming into my hometown of Cullman today!  A buddy and I are riding tomorrow with him from Cullman to Jasper, 58 miles.  I am really really stoked.  Ken Griffey Jr is riding.  Even Lance Armstrong is going to ride the final day with Bo.  Check it out www.bobikesbama.com.


On the fundraising front, I am up to $3,580 raised!  Only $920 left to go.  So if you're holding out on me go ahead and get em in!  Hope everyone has a great week, and take some time to think about the tornado victims from a year ago.  


No comments:

Post a Comment